Bangor Maine History
Over 100 years ago, in 1913, Maine state legislature created the Bangor Public Library, a public library in the heart of the historic district. Maine's first public libraries and the state's oldest library have been open annually for more than 150 years.
In 1906-07, Union Station was completed and helped make Bangor one of the largest cities in the United States with more than 1,000 inhabitants. Local capitalists also invested in Aroostook County, Maine's second-largest county, and developed the area for settlement.
In 1974, most of the country was ceded to Massachusetts, which Maine belonged to until 1820, i.e. 1833. The county, founded in 1760 from York, is still under the jurisdiction of Massachusetts, according to records that apparently were not microfilmed, but the original documents are in the Massachusetts State Archives and have been published in a series of essays by the Maine State Library of Maine's Historical Society. For more information about the history of Aroostook County, Maine, and its history, see the Portland Press Herald and Bangor Daily News, as well as the state's website and its annual history report, both in Maine and Massachusetts.
The annual history report of the Maine State Library of Maine's Historical Society on Aroostook County, Maine, and its history is available on its website.
The annual History Report of the Maine Historical Society on Penobscot County, Aroostook County, is edited by Ruth Gray and contains information on the history of Hancock County, which was founded in 1816 as Pen Obscott County. Arostook County's Annual History Report on the Maine State Library of Maine and its website, including information on its history from 1815 to 1817, 1818 and 1820, as well as the first two years of its existence. The annual history report of the Arosostooks County Historical Society is published by Uth Gray, who, in addition to information about the history of the district since 1814, also contains information about its location.
The State Archives of Maine keeps microfilmed records from 1922 to 1955, including the first two years of the Maine Public Library of Maine and its website, as well as the last three years. It has an index of various newspapers and vital statistics and a list of all newspapers in the Arosostook County, Aroostooks, Penobscot and Hancock counties.
Dr Scee teaches history and writing at Husson University in Bangor and has worked extensively with the University of Maine system. He taught history at Mount Allison University in New Brunswick and worked as a professor at the College of Arts and Sciences in Portland and Maine State University.
Brountas soon moved north, however, and worked in the first textile factory in Boston and then in New Brunswick. In the 1890s, the Bangor, Aroostook and Maine Central Railways made their way through the area and served the Bangor area. The following list of the most important companies in the city, dating from 1903, gives an insight into the local economy of the time. Although some ships were built and owned by Bangors, they were not shipped out of the city until the early 20th century.
The Maine Historical Society, a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit, provides access to historical objects from over 200 organizations in Maine. The largest users are the Bangor Chamber of Commerce, the American Legion and the Maine State Historical Association.
We maintain six standpipes, including the Thomas Hill Standpipe, which is on the Register of Historic Sites and is a landmark in Maine construction. It is the complete and comprehensive history of the cemetery, as its name suggests:
In 1913, Milton R. Geary graduated from the University of Maine and opened a law firm in Bangor. He was the man who would leave sunny Virginia, come to Maine and take over a struggling church at the age of 69. They were rebuilt in 1912 on Harlow Street next to each other and in 1913 in the same building.
He understood that Providence, John Paul Jones's first command, was in Bangor and was exploring the place to discover its docks. As a student, he first discovered the location of the ship and formed a partnership with his father - law professor John F. Jones at the University of Maine. He was also an expert in the history of shipbuilding and also in the port of Bangor and shipbuilding.
The 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment of Maine, based in Bangor and commanded by a local merchant, lost more men than any other Union regiment. In 1887, fresh water caused the Maine Central Railroad Company's tracks between Bangors and Vanceboro to be covered at a depth of several meters. The ice in the river formed, causing the water to rise 10 to 12 feet above normal high tide. It was close enough to the coast to affect the tides and cause flooding and deaths for many soldiers.